Wednesday, February 15, 2023

The Chosen Genre!

     Hey guys! As I had mentioned before, I decided to use my weekend to plan what I wanted to do for my portfolio project. After lots of thinking I decided that I want to go with the thriller genre. I want to use this posts main focus as a way of showing my research. 

    Thrillers generally build tension using suspense. They're suspense filled, plot-driven stories that can include comedic, interesting, excitement and exhilaration. There are also a few subgenres of thrillers, like action, crime, mystery, spy, and more. In mystery thrillers, which is what I think I might focus on, they usually have investigations. In these movies, the tension usually arises when a character is in a dangerous environment. Some ways to build suspense, is to pose a question and give the character a problem to solve. Low-key lighting is also seen in thriller movies.

    I plan on using lots of questions to let the viewer or audience pay more attention and get them interested in the film. I also want to use an interesting set to try and create a dangerous environment to build suspense in the audience. Along with this, low-key lighting is something I plan to use either while filming, or to edit the lighting in post-production.

    Seeing as though, suspense is such a critical piece of thriller films, I want to try my best to create some even in the beginning, to start of the film strong. 

Here are some of the resources I used in my research:

“Thriller (Genre).” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 30 Jan. 2023, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(genre).

Dunham, Brent, et al. “How to Master Suspense with 5 Film Techniques.” StudioBinder, 13 Sept. 2021, https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/elements-of-suspense/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 2 of Filming!

Back again! Excited to show you guys what I have been doing lately. Like I said on Sunday, I had started filming. Well, today I finished the...